Boy impales himself on a spike through his NECK after trying to climb over a gate to see his friend in Thailand 

A schoolboy was lucky to escape with his life after he was impaled through the neck on an eight inch long metal spike after trying to climb over a gate to see a friend. 

Tharathep Wanacharoenlap, 11, clambered up the large iron railings but slipped at the top because they were wet from recent rain.

One of the grey rusty spikes speared his neck but miraculously it missed his arteries.

Gruesome. Rescue workers and passers by try to free the boy from the metal gate

Gruesome. Rescue workers and passers by try to free the boy from the metal gate

Tharathep Wanacharoenlap is carefully taken down from the gate with the metal railing still lodged in his neck 

Tharathep Wanacharoenlap is carefully taken down from the gate with the metal railing still lodged in his neck 

Incredibly, the boy held himself up by the arms for ten minutes to escape further injury and a nasty fall before a passersby came to help and call an ambulance in Chachoengsao, Thailand.

Rescue workers finally cut him free with the metal still embedded in his neck and rushed him to hospital – where he is said to have given nurses a thumbs-up suggesting he is okay. 

The boy held himself up by the arms for ten minutes waiting for rescue workers to arrive at the scene  

The boy held himself up by the arms for ten minutes waiting for rescue workers to arrive at the scene  

Tharathep was trying to visit a friend and had to climb over the eight foot tall gate to reach him 

Tharathep was trying to visit a friend and had to climb over the eight foot tall gate to reach him 

Photographer Natarit Noonpradate, who captured the drama on Tuesday afternoon, said: ‘He climbs over the gate every day to visit his friend.’

‘His mum told me his friend is too lazy to come and open it for him as it’s about 800 metres from the home,’ he added. 

‘This time it was wet and slippy because there had just been a rain storm. He reached the top and slipped.

‘After the mistake he put his arms around the top and held himself for ten minutes. When a neighbour saw him they came and supported to take off the weight.

‘The gate is about three metres high. It’s a miracle he survived.

The spike missed important organs. He’s a real strong young boy, a fighter.

‘When he was in the ambulance the nurses asked him if he was OK and he gave them a thumbs up.’

Tharathep is still recovering in hospital after the accident and medics say he should be released within the next few days without any life changing injuries.   

The boy is said to climb over the gate everyday and gave a thumbs up to to nurses in hospital suggesting he is going to be okay 

The boy is said to climb over the gate everyday and gave a thumbs up to to nurses in hospital suggesting he is going to be okay