Cologne to deploy ten times the number of police it had on the streets for New Year’s Eve in 2015 over fears of repeat migrant sex attacks

Cologne will deploy ten times the number of police officers it had on the streets last December at its 2016 New Year’s Eve celebrations.

Officials are determined to avoid at all costs a repetition of the disgraceful scenes of the last day of the year in 2015 when mobs of immigrant men sexually assaulted and robbed hundreds of women in and around the main railway station.

Cologne released details of its security plan for the festivities on Monday with the highlight being a deployment of 1,500 police officers.

Last year police responded too late and in too few numbers to assist the hundreds of women who fell prey to the marauding gangs of – mostly – North African men.

Cologne will deploy 1,500 police officers this year at the city's New Year's Eve festivities. At last year's celebration, 600 women reported that they were sexually assaulted by groups of migrant men 

Cologne will deploy 1,500 police officers this year at the city’s New Year’s Eve festivities. At last year’s celebration, 600 women reported that they were sexually assaulted by groups of migrant men 

There will also be an additional 600 public order officers and ‘significantly more’ private security workers, according to a city spokesman.

Cologne’s police chief was suspended from his position after the mayor said police had failed to inform her fully of the sexual assaults and was later replaced.

This year the main area where the assaults occurred – between the cathedral and the main train station – will see a total ban on fireworks. Last year many rockets and powerful air bombs were released into the crowd of milling revellers.

Extra video cameras are being installed too. It is understood that Chancellor Angela Merkel’s staff have been kept informed of the security measures: what happened last year severely dented her popularity and called into question the wisdom of her open door immigration policy.

Twitter and Facebook will also come under special cyber police scrutiny to stave off the potential for attackers to use social media to organise mayhem.

‘We want above all to know what the atmosphere is like,’ a police spokesman said regarding the online surveillance. Police have drafted in translators fluent in Arabic languages to pinpoint potential troublemakers.

To keep watch, there will be extra video cameras installed, 600 additional public order officers and 'significantly more' private security workers

To keep watch, there will be extra video cameras installed, 600 additional public order officers and ‘significantly more’ private security workers

A light show by artist Philipp Geist, involving words, shapes and colours projected onto the ground and building facades, is the highlight of the celebrations this year and choirs will be performing for free.

‘The best answer to the fright of last year is to develop other imagery through a positive art event,’ said Geist.

A police spokesman added: ‘We are determined that everyone will be safe.’

GERMAN NEW YEAR’S EVE SEXUAL ASSAULTS GO LARGELY UNPUNISHED

By ALLAN HALL for MailOnline

Official German figures show that the rampaging immigrant mobs who sexually abused women in Cologne and other cities on New Year’s Eve have mostly gone unpunished.

In Hamburg just one person received a sentence following 300 complaints from woman about being attacked on the night, three of them rapes.

A two year suspended sentence was handed down in August on a 19-year-old Afghan asylum seeker accused of sexually assaulting a woman.

Two others were cleared in court hearings, a fourth awaits a trial next year.

In Cologne, where 1,222 women were sexually assaulted or robbed, 370 investigations were quietly shelved because no perpetrators could be found. These included 211 cases of sexual assault and rape.

At the end of November just three people had been found guilty of criminal behaviour on the night and sentenced to between 12 and 21 months. Two of the sentences were suspended.

Eight hundred and 20 cases are still being investigated but prosecutors are not confident of convictions because most of the suspects cannot be identified by their victims. Of these, 372 are sex crimes.

In Duesseldorf there were legal complaints filed by over 100 women who said they had been sexually assaulted on December 31: of these 62 have been closed by police because no perpetrator could be found. Thus far, only one sex criminal has been tried and sentenced.

In Dortmund there were five police investigations opened of sexual abuse on the night; two were found guilty and given suspended sentences, while in Bielefeld 60 miles away, five criminal complaints of sexual assault were dropped because the suspects could not be traced.